The Spartans Car Club
“Welcome to the Spartans Car Club”
A “SPARTANS” HISTORY"
The Spartans Car Club began in September of 1961 in Columbia Heights, MN.
The original list of officers included:
President - Frank Bochniak
Secretary - Pat Devaney
Treasurer - Lynn Wanzink
In the beginning the club had 11 members. When we joined GSTA in July of 1962 we were up to 13 members.
In 1963 the name of the club was changed to The Spartan’s Racing Team, and the club campaigned a 1958 Plymouth drag car at Minnesota Dragways.
In 1964 the president moved out of state along with the drag car, so at that point some of the members campaigned their own cars and some interests began to change. (women)
Some members began to get married and our priorities changed to families, thus causing the Spartans to become another inactive club.
Shuffle forward to 2007 –
Some of the “old” members, who incidentally still hang out together, decided to resurrect the old Spartans name and put together a club. This was mainly to support the GSTA car show and participate in other automotive activities with our friends and families. We are a club of 18 members now and are enjoying spending time together and playing with our cars.
Current list of officers:
President - Don Bohnenkamp
Vice President - Dick Kinnan
Sec/Treasurer - Jerry Weekly